Ping Monitor – Track and Test Ping Status
The most basic unit of a speed test, the humble ping, is invaluable for assessing website availability and performance. Be sure to use an automated ping monitor that can alert you about all website outages and availability issues as soon as they appear.
Automated Ping Testing and Reporting
Setting up a routine ping monitor program is relatively straightforward for a single server. But in the global marketplace that uses a complex network of services and hosts to deliver content as quickly as possible, you need an advanced ping monitoring solution—SolarWinds® Pingdom®.
- Global ping testing – Using a network of 100-plus geographically dispersed locations, Pingdom tests website availability and response times as often as once every minute. By pinging across the world, Pingdom accurately reflects your website visitors’ experiences and page load times. You can also detect whether performance issues are caused at the main website, or at one of your satellite content delivery network (CDN) data centers.
- Instant status alerts – When ping responses fail, or fall outside acceptable limits, you will receive an instant notification. You can also receive alerts for a range of other website issues including error messages, HTTP status, content changes, and more. And when the website comes back online, you will get notified about that, too.
- In-depth historical reporting – Every monitoring ping is recorded by Pingdom—along with the outcomes of any other tests you choose to conduct. The built-in reporting engine allows you to slice-and-dice data to create meaningful reports and charts, and to identify long-term performance issues and their root causes.
Seeing Website Performance Through Your User's Eyes
Raw performance figures may not be useful unless you analyze them in the context of user experience. Pingdom provides real-world testing to faithfully emulate the experience of any user virtually anywhere in the world, and insight into potential tweaks and enhancements that will further improve performance.
- Real user monitoring (RUM) – Ping responses show how quickly your web server responds to an initial connection, but the browsing experience is much more involved. Real user monitoring tracks the actual link clicks, and the page load processes that are triggered by your visitors. If you’re a webmaster, monitoring the entire load process (as experienced by real users) is critical to delivering a good experience to your visitors.
- Connect with your entire team, instantly – Pingdom connects to a range of popular group messaging applications to ensure ping status alerts cannot be missed. With support for Slack, Webhooks, OpsGenie, VictorOps, or your own platform (using the Pingdom API), ping issues can be logged and actioned immediately.
- Increased transparency using a customer portal – Easy-to-use public status pages let you easily share uptime with customers or colleagues so they can see exactly how well your web assets are performing. In just 10 seconds, you can build out public dashboards and begin building out public trust.